2.18.2008

That's It, I'm Moving to Denmark

I loved this 60 Minutes story about Denmark, the happiest place on earth. Whenever I'd hear about this survey of the happiest countries on earth, I would call bullshit, because of course everyone's definition of "happiness" is different. Some people (like myself) think they're happy when they're not crying or wanting to punch someone in the face. Other people only think they're happy when they're in a manic state of euphoria. And it turns out that Danes are the happiest people because they have pretty low expectations, so if they're content, they consider themselves happy. I think part of the reason America came in 23rd is because Americans tend to have such freaking high expectations. Not only do you feel like you have to be happy all the time, you also have to act it. If you're not bubbly and enthusiastic and smiling 24/7, people think you're upset or depressed. Whereas in Denmark, if you do act like that, people think you're a freak. Journalist Sebastian Dorset said:

"People are not looking very happy in the street. They don't talk very much."


Also, Denmark provides free healthcare, subsidized childcare and eldercare, six weeks of vacation from work, and college students actually get paid to go to school. The only drawback is you have to pay about 50% of your income in taxes. But that's probably a small price to pay for all that, and being allowed to be your contented-but-not-euphoric self. Also, Danish guys? Pretty freaking hot. I'm packing my bags.

No comments: